Convert BMP to PNG - online and free
How to convert a BMP to a PNG file?
- Choose the BMP file that you want to convert.
- Select PNG as the the format you want to convert your BMP file to.
- Click "Convert" to convert your BMP file.
Zamzar Pro Tip: You can use MS Paint or most standard Image programs to open BMP files. If you own a Mac then you could use Mac Preview.
Step 1 - Select a file(s) to convert
Step 2 - Convert your files to
Or choose a different format
Step 3 - Start converting
(And agree to our Terms)
We'll get right on it
Overall conversion/upload progress:
|File Name||File Size||Progress|
Click Choose Files to add more files or Convert Now to start converting your files
You're in good company:
Zamzar has converted over 510 million files since 2006
|Description||BMP is a standard image file format which was historically used by computers running the Windows operating system. The format is more commonly know as Bitmap files. The term bitmap was originally coined in computer programming to refer to a map of bits. Historically when you saved an image on your home PC you might have saved it as a .bhp file, this is becoming less common with .jpeg the preferred image file format with the advent of digital cameras.|
|Technical Details||Bitmap files are housed in a device-independent bitmap (DIB) format. The term device independent means that the bitmap specifies pixel color in a form independent of the method used by a display to represent color. This enables Windows to show the bitmap on any type of display device - such as your monitor.|
|Description||PNG pronounced ping is a format for storing bitmapped (raster) images on computers. It was created originally to replace the GIF file format when it was announced that the companies who created the GIF format wanted royalties. PNG uses indexed colors and lossless compression (like a .GIF file), but without those copyright limitations; it cannot be animated like a GIF image.|
|Technical Details||PNG images are in many ways better than .GIF as they also include an 8-bit transparency channel, which allows the colors in the image to fade from opaque to transparent; GIF images only support fully opaque or fully transparent pixels. PNG supports palettes of 24-bit RGB colors, RGB images or greyscale or RGB images. PNG was intended to be able to transfer images on the Internet, not professional graphics, and so does not support other colour spaces (such as CMYK).|
|Developed by||PNG Development Group|
Convert BMP file
- bmp to doc (Microsoft Word Document)
- bmp to docx (Microsoft Word 2007 Document)
- bmp to gif (Compuserve graphics interchange)
- bmp to ico (Windows Icon)
- bmp to jpg (JPEG compliant image)
- bmp to pcx (Paintbrush Bitmap Image)
- bmp to pdf (Portable Document Format)
- bmp to png (Portable Network Graphic)
- bmp to ps (PostScript)
- bmp to tga (Truevision Targa Graphic)
- bmp to thumbnail (Thumbnail image)
- bmp to tiff (Tagged image file format)
- bmp to wbmp (Wireless Bitmap File Format)
- bmp to webp (Lossily compressed image file)