Convert BMP to ICO - online and free
How to convert a BMP to a ICO file?
- Choose the BMP file that you want to convert.
- Select ICO as the the format you want to convert your BMP file to.
- Click "Convert" to convert your BMP file.
Zamzar Pro Tip: You can use MS Paint or most standard Image programs to open BMP files. If you own a Mac then you could use Mac Preview.
Step 1 - Select a file(s) to convert
Step 2 - Convert your files to
Or choose a different format
Step 3 - Start converting
(And agree to our Terms)
We'll get right on it
Overall conversion/upload progress:
|File Name||File Size||Progress|
Click Choose Files to add more files or Convert Now to start converting your files
You're in good company:
Zamzar has converted over 510 million files since 2006
|Description||BMP is a standard image file format which was historically used by computers running the Windows operating system. The format is more commonly know as Bitmap files. The term bitmap was originally coined in computer programming to refer to a map of bits. Historically when you saved an image on your home PC you might have saved it as a .bhp file, this is becoming less common with .jpeg the preferred image file format with the advent of digital cameras.|
|Technical Details||Bitmap files are housed in a device-independent bitmap (DIB) format. The term device independent means that the bitmap specifies pixel color in a form independent of the method used by a display to represent color. This enables Windows to show the bitmap on any type of display device - such as your monitor.|
|Description||The .ico file extension is a file format that is used by Microsoft Windows to display an image to represent computer icons, such as programs, shortcuts, Start Menu items or directories. To associate an image with a file in Microsoft Windows a .ico file must be used. An example of an icon is the small computer image associated with 'My Computer' or the Notepad icon that is associated with the Notepad.exe application within Microsoft Windows.|
|Technical Details||The .ico file type was introduced by the first edition of Windows and has slowly evolved in terms of maximum pixel size and the level of colour support. Windows 7 currently supports icon sizes up to 256 x 256 pixels at 32 bit (comprising 24 bit colour, and 8 bit transparency). However to ensure backwards compatibility with previous versions of Windows 8 bit versions are recommended.|
Convert BMP file
- bmp to doc (Microsoft Word Document)
- bmp to docx (Microsoft Word 2007 Document)
- bmp to gif (Compuserve graphics interchange)
- bmp to ico (Windows Icon)
- bmp to jpg (JPEG compliant image)
- bmp to pcx (Paintbrush Bitmap Image)
- bmp to pdf (Portable Document Format)
- bmp to png (Portable Network Graphic)
- bmp to ps (PostScript)
- bmp to tga (Truevision Targa Graphic)
- bmp to thumbnail (Thumbnail image)
- bmp to tiff (Tagged image file format)
- bmp to wbmp (Wireless Bitmap File Format)
- bmp to webp (Lossily compressed image file)