Convert XLS to TXT - online and free
How to convert a XLS to a TXT file?
- Choose the XLS file that you want to convert.
- Select TXT as the the format you want to convert your XLS file to.
- Click "Convert" to convert your XLS file.
Zamzar Pro Tip: You can use Microsoft Office, Libre Office or if you own a Mac you can use Numbers to open XLS files.
You're in good company:
Zamzar has converted over 510 million files since 2006
|Description||Microsoft Excel is a commercial spreadsheet application written and distributed by Microsoft for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. Pre-2007 versions of Excel use XLS as the primary format for saving files. It features calculation, graphing tools, pivot tables, and a macro programming language called Visual Basic for Applications. It has been a very widely applied spreadsheet for these platforms, especially since version 5 in 1993, and it has almost completely replaced Lotus 1-2-3 as the industry standard for spreadsheets. Excel forms part of Microsoft Office. The current versions are 2010 for Microsoft Windows and 2011 for Mac OS X.|
|Actions||XLS to TXT - Convert file now
View other document file formats
|Technical Details||Microsoft Excel up until 2007 version used a proprietary binary file format called Binary Interchange File Format (BIFF) as its primary format. Used as the basis for XLS files it is a persistence format that supports authoring and manipulating content in workbooks and workbook templates. Most versions of Microsoft Excel can read CSV, DBF, SYLK, DIF, and other legacy formats.|
|Associated programs||Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Excel Viewer
|Useful links||More detail about the XLS format
How to open an XLS file without Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Office binary file format specifications
|Description||The .txt file extension is one of the most ubiquitous file types. The file generally consists of plain text only and contains no formatting. Almost any application that can handle text can open a .txt file. As a result this format remains popular due to its support across all platforms and Operating Systems. The file type is one of the oldest file types in existence with its origins tracing back to the first computers.|
View other document file formats
|Technical Details||A .txt file normally uses a basic character set which contains letters, numbers and symbols. A typical example of this would be the ASCII character set. The main alternative to ASCII is Unicode. Unicode is a rival format for text files. A plain text file should only contain several non-printable charaters such as new lines, tab and form feed.|
|Useful links||More information on text files
Comparison between plain text and formatted text
Convert XLS file
- xls to bmp (Windows bitmap)
- xls to csv (Comma Separated Values)
- xls to gif (Compuserve graphics interchange)
- xls to html (Hypertext Markup Language)
- xls to html4 (Hypertext Markup Language)
- xls to html5 (Hypertext Markup Language)
- xls to jpg (JPEG compliant image)
- xls to mdb (Microsoft Access Database)
- xls to numbers (Apple iWork Numbers Spreadsheet)
- xls to numbers09 (Apple iWork '09 Numbers Spreadsheet)
- xls to ods (OpenDocument spreadsheet)
- xls to pdf (Portable Document Format)
- xls to png (Portable Network Graphic)
- xls to rtf (Rich Text Format)
- xls to tiff (Tagged image file format)
- xls to txt (Text Document)
- xls to xlsx (Microsoft Excel 2007 Spreadsheet)
- xls to xml (Extensible Markup Language)