Convert PNG to ICO - online and free
How to convert a PNG to a ICO file?
- Choose the PNG file that you want to convert.
- Select ICO as the the format you want to convert your PNG file to.
- Click "Convert" to convert your PNG file.
Zamzar Pro Tip: If you are on a Mac then you can use Preview to open PNG files.
You're in good company:
Zamzar has converted over 510 million files since 2006
|Description||PNG pronounced ping is a format for storing bitmapped (raster) images on computers. It was created originally to replace the GIF file format when it was announced that the companies who created the GIF format wanted royalties. PNG uses indexed colors and lossless compression (like a .GIF file), but without those copyright limitations; it cannot be animated like a GIF image.|
|Actions||PNG to ICO - Convert file now
View other image file formats
|Technical Details||PNG images are in many ways better than .GIF as they also include an 8-bit transparency channel, which allows the colors in the image to fade from opaque to transparent; GIF images only support fully opaque or fully transparent pixels. PNG supports palettes of 24-bit RGB colors, RGB images or greyscale or RGB images. PNG was intended to be able to transfer images on the Internet, not professional graphics, and so does not support other colour spaces (such as CMYK).|
|Associated programs||Apple Preview
Corel Paint Shop Pro
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program (LINUX)
Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery Viewer
|Developed by||PNG Development Group|
|Useful links||Further information on PNG Files
How can I open a PNG file ?
|Description||The .ico file extension is a file format that is used by Microsoft Windows to display an image to represent computer icons, such as programs, shortcuts, Start Menu items or directories. To associate an image with a file in Microsoft Windows a .ico file must be used. An example of an icon is the small computer image associated with 'My Computer' or the Notepad icon that is associated with the Notepad.exe application within Microsoft Windows.|
|Actions||Convert ICO file
View other image file formats
|Technical Details||The .ico file type was introduced by the first edition of Windows and has slowly evolved in terms of maximum pixel size and the level of colour support. Windows 7 currently supports icon sizes up to 256 x 256 pixels at 32 bit (comprising 24 bit colour, and 8 bit transparency). However to ensure backwards compatibility with previous versions of Windows 8 bit versions are recommended.|
|Associated programs||Adobe Photoshop
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
|Useful links||More info on ico files
Guide to Windows ico files
Convert ICO file
Convert PNG file
- png to bmp (Windows bitmap)
- png to doc (Microsoft Word Document)
- png to docx (Microsoft Word 2007 Document)
- png to gif (Compuserve graphics interchange)
- png to ico (Windows Icon)
- png to jpg (JPEG compliant image)
- png to pcx (Paintbrush Bitmap Image)
- png to pdf (Portable Document Format)
- png to ps (PostScript)
- png to tga (Truevision Targa Graphic)
- png to thumbnail (Thumbnail image)
- png to tiff (Tagged image file format)
- png to wbmp (Wireless Bitmap File Format)
- png to webp (Lossily compressed image file)