Convert BMP to PNG - online and free
How to convert a BMP to a PNG file?
- Choose the BMP file that you want to convert.
- Select PNG as the the format you want to convert your BMP file to.
- Click "Convert" to convert your BMP file.
Zamzar Pro Tip: You can use MS Paint or most standard Image programs to open BMP files. If you own a Mac then you could use Mac Preview.
You're in good company:
Zamzar has converted over 510 million files since 2006
|Description||BMP is a standard image file format which was historically used by computers running the Windows operating system. The format is more commonly know as Bitmap files. The term bitmap was originally coined in computer programming to refer to a map of bits. Historically when you saved an image on your home PC you might have saved it as a .bhp file, this is becoming less common with .jpeg the preferred image file format with the advent of digital cameras.|
|Actions||BMP to PNG - Convert file now
View other image file formats
|Technical Details||Bitmap files are housed in a device-independent bitmap (DIB) format. The term device independent means that the bitmap specifies pixel color in a form independent of the method used by a display to represent color. This enables Windows to show the bitmap on any type of display device - such as your monitor.|
|Associated programs||Adobe Photoshop
Microsoft Photo Editor
|Useful links||More detailed information on BMP files
What programs can I use to open a BMP file ?
|Description||PNG pronounced ping is a format for storing bitmapped (raster) images on computers. It was created originally to replace the GIF file format when it was announced that the companies who created the GIF format wanted royalties. PNG uses indexed colors and lossless compression (like a .GIF file), but without those copyright limitations; it cannot be animated like a GIF image.|
View other image file formats
|Technical Details||PNG images are in many ways better than .GIF as they also include an 8-bit transparency channel, which allows the colors in the image to fade from opaque to transparent; GIF images only support fully opaque or fully transparent pixels. PNG supports palettes of 24-bit RGB colors, RGB images or greyscale or RGB images. PNG was intended to be able to transfer images on the Internet, not professional graphics, and so does not support other colour spaces (such as CMYK).|
|Associated programs||Apple Preview
Corel Paint Shop Pro
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program (LINUX)
Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery Viewer
|Developed by||PNG Development Group|
|Useful links||Further information on PNG Files
How can I open a PNG file ?
Convert BMP file
- bmp to doc (Microsoft Word Document)
- bmp to docx (Microsoft Word 2007 Document)
- bmp to gif (Compuserve graphics interchange)
- bmp to ico (Windows Icon)
- bmp to jpg (JPEG compliant image)
- bmp to pcx (Paintbrush Bitmap Image)
- bmp to pdf (Portable Document Format)
- bmp to png (Portable Network Graphic)
- bmp to ps (PostScript)
- bmp to tga (Truevision Targa Graphic)
- bmp to thumbnail (Thumbnail image)
- bmp to tiff (Tagged image file format)
- bmp to wbmp (Wireless Bitmap File Format)
- bmp to webp (Lossily compressed image file)