Convert AVI to MPG - online and free - this page also contains information on the AVI and MPG file extensions.
How to convert a AVI to a MPG file?
- Choose the AVI file that you want to convert.
- Select MPG as the the format you want to convert your AVI file to.
- Click "Convert" to convert your AVI file.
Zamzar Pro Tip: If you wish to open AVI files then you could use the Windows Media Player.
You're in good company:
Zamzar has converted over 510 million files since 2006
|Description||AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave. Files of this format have an .avi extension. Developed by Microsoft in 1992, it has become so widespread that many people consider it the de-facto standard for storing video and audio information on PC. AVI combines audio and video into a single file in a standard container to allow simultaneous playback. Its advatage is a simple architecture, due to which AVI runs on a number of different systems like Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix and is supported by all of the most popular web-browsers.'|
|Actions||AVI to MPG - Convert file now
View other video file formats
|Technical Details||AVI is a derivative of the Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF), which divides a file's data into blocks, or chunks. Each chunk is identified by a FourCC tag. An AVI file takes the form of a single chunk in a RIFF formatted file, which is then subdivided into two mandatory chunks and one optional chunk. The first sub-chunk is identified by the hdrl tag. This sub-chunk is the file header and contains metadata about the video, such as its width, height and frame rate. The second sub-chunk is identified by the movi tag. This chunk contains the actual audio/visual data that make up the AVI movie. The third optional sub-chunk is identified by the idx1 tag which indexes the offsets of the data chunks within the file.|
Apple QuickTime Player
Microsoft Windows Media Player
VideoLAN VLC Media Player
|Useful links||More detail on the AVI file
What programs can I use to open an AVI file ?
|Description||MPG is commonly associated with video and audio compressions MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. This is designed to compress audio and video to formats that can be downloaded. Movies with this extension are of lower sizes and greater quality, but quality differs from original VCR videos. This file format can run on Mac, Windows and other portable devices.|
|Actions||Convert MPG file
View other video file formats
|Technical Details||MPEG-1 is a standard for lossy compression of video and audio. It is designed to compress VHS-quality RAW digital video and CD audio down to 1.5 Mbit/s (26:1 and 6:1 compression ratios respectively) without excessive quality loss, making video CDs, digital cable/satellite TV and digital audio broadcasting (DAB) possible. Today, MPEG-1 has become the most widely compatible lossy audio/video format in the world, and is used in a large number of products and technologies. Perhaps the best-known part of the MPEG-1 standard is the MP3 audio format it introduced.|
|Associated programs||VideoLAN VLC Media Player
Windows Media Player
|Developed by||ISO, IEC|
|Useful links||Detailed information on the MPG File Format
How to play MPG files
Convert MPG file
Convert AVI file
- avi to 3gp (3GPP Multimedia File)
- avi to 3g2 (3GPP2 Multimedia File)
- avi to aac (Advanced Audio Coding File)
- avi to ac3 (AC3 Audio File)
- avi to flac (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
- avi to flv (Flash video)
- avi to gif (Compuserve graphics interchange)
- avi to ipad (MPEG-4 (H264) Video File)
- avi to iphone (MPEG-4 (H264) Video File)
- avi to ipod (MPEG-4 Video File)
- avi to mp3 (Compressed audio file)
- avi to mov (Apple QuickTime Movie)
- avi to mp4 (MPEG-4 Video File)
- avi to mpg (Moving Picture Experts Group File)
- avi to ogg (Ogg Vorbis Compressed Audio File)
- avi to wav (Windows audio file)
- avi to webm (Multimedia Container Format)
- avi to wmv (Windows Media Video)